20 players from B1G programs are on active Super Bowl LV rosters, Iowa and Michigan lead the way
The matchup for Super Bowl LV is set. On Sunday, Feb. 7, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will take on the Kansas City Chiefs with the chance to win a championship. And the reason both teams are playing in the biggest game of the year is because they got a lot of help from B1G stars.
With the two teams in the Super Bowl, there will be 20 players who come from B1G programs who will be suiting up in two weeks. Those 20 players are the ones listed on the active roster — not the injury/reserve list or practice squad.
Here’s a look at the former B1G stars who will be playing in Super Bowl LV in two weeks:
Kansas City Chiefs (9)
- OG: Nick Allegretti, Illinois
- LB: Anthony Hitchens, Iowa
- LB: Ben Niemann, Iowa
- DE: Frank Clark, Michigan
- DE: Mike Danna, Michigan
- QB: Chad Henne, Michigan
- RB: Le’Veon Bell, Michigan State
- LB: Damien Wilson, Minnesota
- OG: Stefen Wisniewski, Penn State
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (11)
- LB: Anthony Nelson, Iowa
- OT: Tristan Wirfs, Iowa
- QB: Tom Brady, Michigan
- DL: William Gholston, Michigan State
- WR: Tyler Johnson, Minnesota
- S: Antoine Winfield Jr., Minnesota
- LB: Lavonte David, Nebraska
- DL: Khalil Davis, Nebraska
- DL: Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska
- WR: Chris Godwin, Penn State
- OT: Donovan Smith, Penn State
By B1G school
- Iowa, Michigan: 4 each
- Minnesota, Nebraska, Penn State: 3 each
- Michigan State: 2
- Illinois: 1
Surprisingly, there are no players from Ohio State or Wisconsin on either roster, which is somewhat odd considering how frequently those two teams reach the B1G Championship Game and how much NFL talent is produced. It just didn’t work out this year.
The Super Bowl is scheduled for a 6:30 p.m. ET kickoff with coverage on CBS.