B1G announces 'United As One' campaign to increase social justice awareness
The Big Ten is rolling out a new social justice campaign ahead of its first weekend of games in the 2020 season.
The initiative is called “United As One” and will include all 14 programs wearing social justice messages, decals, jersey patches or supporting in other methods.
“All things are possible in the Big Ten when we unite as one,” Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren said in a release. “I am humbled and deeply appreciative of how our 14 member institutions have communicated, collaborated and committed to develop a conference-wide campaign focused on creating equality and equity in our society.”
Here’s a description of how all 14 programs will participate, as per the release:
- Badger student-athletes debut the special edition patch of the university crest logo – featuring a black “W” as a sign of support – on all UW Athletic Department uniforms.
- University of Illinois student-athletes will show their support for Black Lives Matter with helmet stickers and markings of ‘Equality,’ ‘Together,’ ‘I Fight Against Racism,’ and ‘United.”
- Minnesota student-athletes will encourage others to ‘End Racism’ through jersey back nameplates and promotion of H.E.R.E/Helping End Racism with Education.
- Michigan student-athletes will adorn their helmets with the message ‘Equality’ and multi-colored fists. Both schools are planning robust social and online campaigns to generate additional awareness.
- The helmets of Michigan State football players will feature ‘Black Lives Matter’ stickers.
- The Rutgers football players will be wearing “Chop 4 Change” on the back of their helmets.
- Ohio State football players will wear back of helmet stickers that state ‘Equality’ and debut a specially designed pre-game t-shirt as an additional show of support.
- Stickers on Cornhuskers helmets will generate awareness for social justice issues by paying tribute to George Flippin, the first African American football player for the University of Nebraska.
- Socially distanced spectators at Memorial Stadium in Bloomington will hear the “Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion” statement during pre-game activities. A campaign logo, designed by IU Athletics staff in consultation with student-athletes, arranged the words peace, love, human rights, justice, equality, compassion, together, understanding, united, empathy, and power into a raised fist icon. The logo will be featured on jersey patches and helmet stickers.
- Nittany Lions student-athletes will wear pre-game t-shirts, uniform patches and helmet stickers featuring hands clasped in union and an outline of the state of Pennsylvania.
- Boilermakers will be raising awareness of social justice throughout the season with a variety of activities.
- Iowa student-athletes plan to promote equality and equity with custom stickers and social media engagement.
- Northwestern student-athletes will wear pregame t-shirts emblazoned with a fist icon and the message: “True change will only come once everyone in this country feels the same outrage as black people.”
- Maryland has personalized the message by replacing the ‘O’ in ‘ONE TERP’ with a raised fist. Further, the ideals of empathy, unity, respect, equality, justice and the phrases “End Racism” and “In Solidarity” will be shared via nameplate messages and field markings.
The Big Ten’s season kicks off on Friday night with Wisconsin hosting Illinois.