B1G football predictions 2022: Media predicts Offensive, Defensive Player of the Year
As talking season heads for the B1G via Big Ten Media Days on Tuesday and Wednesday, the 2022 college football season marches ever closer. The preseason votes for a number of awards and honors are also in.
On Monday, the media poll for the B1G Championship was released with Ohio State serving as the unanimous pick to win the conference. Wisconsin is the heavy favorite to win the B1G West and oppose the Buckeyes.
Media polls for the preseason pick of the Offensive and Defensive Player of the Year Awards were also published by Cleveland.com.
On the defensive side, Iowa LB Jack Campbell led the way with 20 first-place votes for the award. Wisconsin LB Nick Herbig captured 10 of the other available first-place votes.
On the offensive side, Ohio State QB C.J. Stroud dominated the voting with 32 of the 35 first-place votes. Ohio State WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba (2) and Maryland QB Taulia Tagovailoa (1) were the only other players to receive first-place votes.
Here is how the voting for the Player of the Year Awards shakes out in terms of first-place votes and total points.
Preseason Defensive Player of the Year
1. Jack Campbell, LB, Iowa (20 first-place votes) 74
Sports Betting in Big Ten Country
There is big news coming to the upcoming 2022-23 Big Ten football season (and NFL season). Ohio online sports betting and Maryland sports betting are on the way.
21+ and present in OH. Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER.
2. Nick Herbig, LB, Wisconsin (10) 55
3. Zach Harrison, DE, Ohio State (4) 26
4. Riley Moss, CB, Iowa (1) 20
5. Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State 8
6. Ji’Ayir Brown, S, Penn State 7
7. (tie) Denzel Burke, CB, Ohio State 3
7. (tie) Tiawan Mullen, CB, Indiana 3
7. (tie) Garrett Nelson, LB, Nebraska 3
7. (tie) J.T. Tuimoloau, DE, Ohio State 3
11. (tie) Junior Colson, LB, Michigan 2
11. (tie) Ronnie Hickman, S, Ohio State 2
11. (tie) P.J.Mustipher, DT, Penn State 2
14. (tie) Xavier Henderson, S, Michigan State 1
14. (tie) Adam Korsak, P, Rutgers 1
Preseason Offensive Player of the Year
1. C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State (32 first-place votes) 101 points
2. Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State (2) 42
3. Braelon Allen, RB, Wisconsin 37
4. Blake Corum, RB, Michigan 8
6. TreVeyon Henderson, RB, Ohio State 5
7. Taulia Tagovailoa, QB, Maryland (1) 4
8. Mohamed Ibrahim, RB, Minnesota 3
9. (tie) Rakim Jarrett, WR, Maryland 1
9. (tie) Payton Thorne, QB, Michigan State 1
9. (tie) Jayden Reed, WR, Michigan State 1