No B1G teams are competing for a national title this season, as the College Football Playoff committee elected to put Alabama over Ohio State for the final spot in the Final Four. But the conference still has eight teams making a postseason appearance this year.
We now know the destinations for all eight of those teams that are bowling.
Three teams from the B1G will be playing in New Year’s Six games. Here are the destinations and matchups for Ohio State, Wisconsin and Penn State:
- Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic: Dec. 29, 8:30 p.m. ET – No. 5 Ohio State vs. No. 8 USC
- Capital One Orange Bowl: Dec. 30, 8 p.m. ET – No. 6 Wisconsin vs. No. 10 Miami
- PlayStation Fiesta Bowl: Dec. 30, 4 p.m. ET – No. 9 Penn State vs. No. 11 Washington
That slate presents a few really interesting matchups.
Wisconsin has to travel to the Orange Bowl to play Miami in its own back yard. Though the Hurricanes are coming off back-to-back losses, that will present an interesting challenge for the Badgers. The other two games — Ohio State-USC and Penn State-Washington — could be really high-scoring affairs. don’t be surprised if we see a few shootouts.
Five other B1G teams earned bowl bids this season, and those destinations have also been announced:
- Outback Bowl: Jan. 1, 12 p.m. ET – Michigan vs. South Carolina
- San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl: Dec. 28, 9 p.m. ET – N0. 16 Michigan State vs. No. 18 Washington State
- New Era Pinstripe Bowl: Dec. 27, 5 p.m. ET – Iowa vs. Boston College
- Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl: Dec. 29, 4:30 p.m. ET – No. 21 Northwestern vs. Kentucky
- Foster Farms Bowl: Dec. 27, 8:30 p.m. ET – Purdue vs. Arizona
The Holiday Bowl matchup between Michigan State and Washington State will be a battle between Michigan State’s overpowering defense and Washington State’s high-octane offense. Based on how the Cougars have performed in those contests this season, the could be a favorable matchup for the Spartans.
Northwestern also has a really good opportunity to finish the season with 10 wins, playing a 7-5 Kentucky team in the Music City Bowl. The Outback Bowl is a rematch of the 2013 game, which South Carolina defeated Michigan 33-28.
Iowa and Boston College should be a pretty entertaining defensive bout in New York while Purdue has a chance to end with its first winning season since 2011, matching up against Arizona in the Foster Farms Bowl.