CBS Sports mock draft breaks ranks, puts new name at No. 1 for 2022 NFL Draft
Since the Ohio State game, Michigan edge rusher Aidan Hutchinson has been the hottest name at the top of NFL Draft boards.
He took over the top spot in Dane Brugler’s rankings, in Todd McShay’s rankings, and in Mel Kiper Jr.’s rankings. The senior Heisman finalist and MVP of the Big Ten title game has long been viewed as a top selection, but it was his close to the year as Michigan bulldozed its way to a College Football Playoff berth that catapulted him to the top spot in so many mocks and on so many draft boards.
Michigan allowed only 3 points to Iowa in the Big Ten Championship game as video of him bullying Hawkeye tackles went viral. In the team’s 42-27 win over Ohio State the week prior, he sacked Buckeye quarterback CJ Stroud 3 times. Hutchinson’s 14 sacks this season set a program record at Michigan.
But CBS Sports’ new mock draft from Josh Edwards has the Detroit Lions passing on the Michigan man to select Oregon edge rusher Kayvon Thibodeaux.
Curiously, Hutchinson is listed as the 7th overall prospect on Edwards’ board and the 3rd-best at his position, behind Thibodeaux and Purdue’s George Karlaftis, who Edwards has being selected after Hutchinson at No. 5. Alabama wideout and former Buckeye Jameson Williams is listed as the top overall prospect available.
The mock has 7 Big Ten players being selected in the first round. Here’s the list:
- Aidan Hutchinson, Michigan EDGE (No. 2, Jacksonville Jaguars)
- George Karlaftis, Purdue DL (No. 5, New York Giants)
- Tyler Linderbaum, Iowa C (No. 6, New York Giants)
- Garrett Wilson, Ohio State WR (No. 13, New Orleans Saints)
- David Ojabo, Michigan LB (No. 23, Los Angeles Chargers)
- Chris Olave, Ohio State WR (No. 24, Detroit Lions)
- Jahan Dotson, Penn State WR (No. 30, Tampa Bay Bucs)