CBS Sports projects bowl games for 9 Big Ten teams in 2018
CBS Sports is projecting the Big Ten will be back in the College Football Playoff and well represented in the rest of the New Year’s Six bowl games.
The preseason projections come from a recent article from Jerry Palm. The veteran college sports forecaster predicts that Ohio State will face a familiar postseason foe, Clemson, in the CFP. He also sees New Year’s Six bowls in store for Wisconsin and Penn State.
Here are his projections for Big Ten teams:
- Orange Bowl (CFP Semifinal): No. 2 Clemson vs. No. 3 Ohio State
- Rose Bowl (New Year’s Six): Washington vs. Wisconsin
- Peach Bowl (NY6): Miami vs. Penn State
- Citrus Bowl: Auburn vs. Michigan State
- Outback Bowl: Florida vs. Purdue
- Gator Bowl: Texas A&M vs. Michigan
- Holiday Bowl: Arizona vs. Iowa
- San Francisco Bowl: Utah vs. Northwestern
- Pinstripe Bowl: Louisville vs. Nebraska
With one team in the CFP (Ohio State) and another receiving a New Year’s Six at-large bid (Penn State), Palm thinks some of the Big Ten’s lower bowl tie-ins will not be filled. The Quick Lane Bowl and the Armed Forces Bowl both have Big Ten tie-ins, but if only nine teams from the conference go bowling, Palm sees all teams receiving invites before those two games select teams from the available field.
Palm’s full projections can be viewed here.