All heck broke loose during an Iowa high school football game last Friday when officials missed what appears to be an obvious targeting penalty. An assistant coach has already resigned due to the incident and police are currently investigating.

During the second quarter of a football game between Dowling Catholic High School and Lincoln High School last week, a Dowling defender launched his helmet into the head of the Lincoln quarterback, which appeared to knock him out. Lincoln assistant coach Jason Storm, a 15-year assistant coach and father of the Lincoln signal caller, erupted in angry and confronted the referee on the field.

Storm received an ejection for his outburst.

Sports Betting in Big Ten Country

There is big news coming to the upcoming 2022-23 Big Ten football season (and NFL season). Ohio online sports betting and Maryland sports betting are on the way.

21+ and present in OH. Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER.

West Des Moines police are investigating what transpired and are looking at possibly charging Storm with harassment, an aggravated misdemeanor punishable by up to two years in jail or a $6,250 fine.

Unsurprisingly, Storm’s attorney, Gary Dickey, is focusing on what happened during the play. He told local TV station 13-WHO that his first reaction to the play was “How do you not call that a penalty?”

The Iowa High School Athletic Association have yet to admit an officiating error occurred, but they are reviewing the video. However, they are more focused on how Storm treated their official after the ruling.

“The reality is that officials are not perfect, no matter what level we are talking about,” said IHSAA Executive Director Tom Keating. “Inevitably, an official is going to miss a call and it’s our responsibility as adults to disagree respectfully and keep our cool and keep our emotions in check.”

Storm voluntarily resigned as an assistant coach and has apologized to the Dowling athletics director.

Watch the full news story on the incident from 13-WHO below: