The Frank Broyles Award released its list of 53 nominees for the 2018 award, presented to the top assistant coach in college football. Eight B1G coaches were named candidates.
The list will be narrowed down to 15 semi-finalists and eventually five finalists. A winner will be announced on Dec. 4.
Clemson co-offensive coordinator and running backs coach Tony Elliott was the winner of the award last season. Winners from the past five seasons of the award are not eligible for nomination.
Below are the list of eight B1G coaches who were nominated for the Broyles Award. The last B1G assistant to receive the honor was Tom Herman in 2014, serving as Ohio State’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.
- Mike Hart, Indiana: Assistant head coach, running backs coach
- Phil Parker, Iowa: Defensive coordinator, secondary
- Don Brown, Michigan: Defensive coordinator
- Mike Tressel, Michigan State: Defensive coordinator, linebackers
- Mario Verduzco, Nebraska: Quarterbacks
- Mike Hankwitz, Northwestern: Defensive coordinator
- Ryan Day, Ohio State: Offensive coordinator, quarterbacks
- Joe Rudolph, Wisconsin: Offensive coordinator, offensive line