FWAA releases Freshman All-America team
With 2017 coming to an end, the Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) released its Freshman All-America team just before the new year.
On Sunday, the FWAA released the names of the Freshman All-America team, which included five players out of the B1G. The conference had more representatives than any other in the country, beating out the SEC and Pac-12, both placing four players on the list.
Four of the B1G’s five players came on the offensive side of the ball, with one defender name to the team. Wisconsin had two players make the cut, the only B1G school to have multiple representatives.
Oklahoma head coach Lincoln Riley was named the First-year Head Coach of the Year.
Here’s the Freshman All-America team as selected by the FWAA:
- QB: Jake Fromm, Georgia
- RB: Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin
- RB: A.J. Dillon, Boston College
- RB: Spencer Davis, UAB
- WR: J.D. Spielman, Nebraska
- WR: Justin Hall, Ball State
- WR: McLane Mannix, Nevada
- TE: Matt Bushman, BYU
- OT: Alaric Jackson, Iowa
- OT: Andrew Thomas, Georgia
- OG: Trey Smith, Tennessee
- OG: Navaughn Donaldson, Miami (FL)
- C: Tyler Biadasz, Wisconsin
- DE: Curtis Weaver, Boise State
- DE: Kylan Wilborn, Arizona
- DT: Ross Blacklock, TCU
- DT: Jordan Scott, Oregon
- LB: Paddy Fisher, Northwestern
- LB: Colin Schooler, Arizona
- LB: Kenneth Murray. Oklahoma
- LB: Racheem Boothe, Southern Miss.
- DB: Chase Lucas, Arizona State
- DB: T.J. Carter, Memphis
- DB: Greedy Williams, LSU
- DB: Amik Robertson, Louisiana Tech
- DB: Tariq Thompson, San Diego State