Mel Kiper Jr. predicts 7 B1G players will go in 1st round of 2021 NFL draft
Mel Kiper Jr.’s latest mock draft has been released.
Kiper published version 4.0 of his mock on Tuesday morning, and there’s a couple surprises involving former Big Ten stars.
His latest mock has seven former Big Ten players going in the first round. Here’s the full list:
- Penn State LB Micah Parsons | No. 9 overall to the Denver Broncos
- Ohio State QB Justin Fields | No. 10 overall to the New England Patriots (via trade)
- Northwestern OT Rashawn Slater | No. 13 overall to the Los Angeles Chargers
- Michigan DE Kwity Paye | No. 18 overall to the Miami Dolphins
- Northwestern CB Greg Newsome II | No. 23 overall to the New York Jets (via trade)
- Minnesota WR Rashod Bateman | No. 29 overall to the Green Bay Packers
- Penn State LB Jayson Oweh | No. 31 overall to the Kansas City Chiefs
Northwestern and Penn State are the only teams will multiple players on this list.
While teams in the top five appear to be over-looking Justin Fields’ talent, it’s hard to imagine him finding a better landing spot than New England. The Patriots arguably still have the best infrastructure in the league and a coaching staff who knows how to develop winners.
Greg Newsome II is a late addition to the first-round conversation. He played in just three games this past season for the Wildcats, but has had an excellent pre-draft process. His teammate, Rashawn Slater, could be in position to protect the blindside of Justin Herbert for the foreseeable future.
While Rashod Bateman would likely hope to go earlier than No. 29 overall, landing in Green Bay would be a great fit for the former Gopher. Aaron Rodgers has been looking for another top-level pass catcher to pair with Davante Adams for years, and Bateman could contribute from day one.
The 2021 NFL draft is April 29-May 1.