Preseason poll predicts B1G's Offensive, Defensive POTY awards
The preseason poll in the B1G has been released as compiled by Cleveland.com. As a part of the preseason poll, 37 media members voted for the league’s Offensive and Defensive Player of the Year awards.
On the offensive side of the ball, Ohio State wide receiver Marvin Harrison Jr. earned the preseason nod and dominated the first-place votes. The Buckeye star received 27 first-place votes and appeared on 35 of the 37 ballots. Should Harrison capture the award, he would be just the 3rd receiver to win the league’s top honor and the first wideout since Braylon Edwards in 2003.
Michigan RB Blake Corum and QB JJ McCarthy finished 2nd and 3rd on the preseason poll, respectively. However, McCarthy received 5 first-place votes to Corum’s 4. Ohio State QB Kyle McCord received the other first-place vote despite not having the starting job for the Buckeyes quite yet.
The preseason vote for the Defensive Player of the Year Award was much closer. 11 defensive players received at least 1 first-place vote while 6 players received multiple first-place votes.
When everything is all added up, Iowa DB Cooper DeJean finished at the top of the award with 42 overall points and 6 first-place votes. Illinois DT Jer’Zhan “Johnny” Newton actually led the B1G with 7 first-place votes but finished with 41 total points.
Ohio State LB Tommy Eichenberg was third and received 6 first-place votes while fellow Buckeye, DE JT Tuimoloau, finished fourth with 5 first-place votes.
Offensive Player of the Year vote
1. Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State (27 first-place votes) 94 points
2. Blake Corum, RB, Michigan (4) 56
3. J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan (5) 27
4. Braelon Allen, RB, Wisconsin 21
5 (tie). Nick Singleton, RB, Penn State and Taulia Tagovailoa, QB, Maryland 6
7. Kyle McCord, QB, Ohio State (1) 5
8 (tie). Olu Fashanu, OT, Penn State; TreVeyon Henderson, RB, Ohio State and Donovan Edwards, RB, Michigan 2
11. Emeka Egbuka, WR, Ohio State 1
Defensive Player of the Year vote
1. Cooper DeJean, DB, Iowa (6 first-place votes) 42 points
2. Jer’Zhan “Johnny” Newton, DT, Illinois (7) 41
3. Tommy Eichenberg, LB, Ohio State (6) 29
4. J.T. Tuimoloau, DE, Ohio State (5) 28
5. Kalen King, DB, Penn State (1) 22
6. Abdul Carter, LB, Penn State (5) 20
7. Chop Robinson, DE, Penn State (3) 13
8. Denzel Burke, CB, Ohio State (1) 7
9. (tie) Junior Colson, LB, Michigan (1) and Will Johnson, CB, Michigan (1) 5
11. Mike Hall, DT, Ohio State (1) 3
12. (tie) Cal Haladay, LB, Michigan State and Jack Sawyer, DE, Ohio State 2
14. (tie) Maema Njongmeta, LB, Wisconsin; Tyler Nubin, DB, Minnesota and Nick Scourton (formerly Caraway), LB, Purdue 1