Sporting News includes 4 B1G teams among 20 best of the decade
Believe it or not, another decade is coming to an end. After the 2019 season, another era of college football history will be in the rearview mirror as we embark on the 2020s.
With just one season left in this decade, Sporting News published a recent story ranking the 20 best football programs during the last decade. Four of those teams hail from the B1G.
Sporting News writer Bill Bender developed the list using a point system based on accomplishments throughout the decade. Here’s what that point system looked like:
- 10 points: national championships
- 5 points: national championship appearances
- 5 points: CFB Playoff appearances
- 3 points: NY6/BCS Bowl appearances
- 2 points: Heisman Trophy winners
Winning percentage, All-Americans and first-round NFL Draft picks were also factored into the rankings. Here’s where the four B1G teams fell, based on that system:
- No. 3 — Ohio State (78.5 points)
- No. 10 — Wisconsin (32.5 points)
- No. 14 — Michigan State (17 points)
- No. 19 — Michigan (12.5 points)
It should be no surprise that Alabama (166 points) and Clemson (105.5 points), which have dominated the college football landscape recently, were at No. 1 and No. 2, respectively.
You can view the full rankings by visiting Sporting News.