USA Today coaches salary database: 3 B1G coaches among Top 10 highest paid
USA Today has released its annual coaches salary database for the 2018 season. Three college football coaches out of the B1G rank in the top 10 highest paid.
While nobody is topping Alabama’s Nick Saban ($8.307 million), Ohio State’s Urban Meyer and Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh come pretty close. The two rival coaches rank as second and third highest-paid in their field. New Nebraska head coach Scott Frost is at 10th.
There were a few surprising names high up the list, too. Illinois’ Lovie Smith came in at 13th and Iowa’s Kirk Ferentz was at 17th.
The lowest-paid B1G coach is Indiana’s Tom Allen, who ranks 65th nationally. He’s the only coach in the league not making over $2 million.
Here’s a look at the B1G coaching figures from USA Today:
- Urban Meyer, Ohio State: $7.6 million
- Jim Harbaugh, Michigan: $7.504 million
- Scott Frost, Nebraska: $5.0 million
- Lovie Smith, Illinois: $5.0 million
- James Franklin, Penn State: $4.8 million
- Kirk Ferentz, Iowa: $4.7 million
- Mark Dantonio, Michigan State: $4.39 million
- Jeff Brohm, Purdue: $3.8 million
- Paul Chryst, Wisconsin: $3.75 million
- Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern $3.619 million
- P.J. Fleck, Minnesota: $3.55 million
- DJ Durkin, Maryland: $2.512 million
- Chris Ash, Rutgers: $2.2 million
- Tom Allen, Indiana: $1.83 million