With more and more momentum heading in a positive direction towards the college football season, Sporting News has published some way-too-early bowl predictions for 2020. There’s plenty of B1G representation.
Bill Bender of the Sporting News went through the tedious task of predicting what the college football postseason will look like come December. As he projected where each team would land come bowl season, he believes 10 teams from the B1G will be participating in a postseason bowl game this year.
Bender also believes that Ohio State will be back in the College Football Playoff this year.
Here’s a look at the 10 B1G teams Bender believes will be heading to the postseason following the 2020 campaign, as well as the projected bowl destination:
- Citrus Bowl: Wisconsin vs. Florida
- Outback Bowl: Michigan vs. Auburn
- Belk Bowl: Michigan State vs. NC State
- Cactus Bowl: Indiana vs. Kansas State
- Pinstripe Bowl: Iowa vs. Virginia Tech
- Quick Lane Bowl: Purdue vs. Western Michigan
- Redbox Bowl: Nebraska vs. Washington
- Music City Bowl: Minnesota vs. Texas A&M
- Orange Bowl: Penn State vs. North Carolina
- Rose Bowl (CFP semifinal): Ohio State vs. Oklahoma
Not to rub salt in the wound for the four fan bases, but Sporting News does not believe Maryland, Rutgers, Northwestern or Illinois will be bowling in 2020. The Fighting Illini are the only team in that group that appeared in the postseason last year.
You can see Bender’s complete projections here.