Illinois announces 2020 Athletics Hall of Fame class
The Illinois Department of Athletics has announced the 2020 Athletics Hall of Fame class.
On Tuesday, the school announced that 15 former Fighting Illini student-athletes will be recognized as members of the 2020 Illinois Athletics Hall of Fame class. This year’s class features athletes who participated in collegiate athletics for the school between the years of 1901 and 2013.
The Hall of Fame induction is set for Friday, Sept. 18 at the State Farm Center. The event is free and open to the public.
Below are the list of 15 former student-athletes who will represent the 2020 Hall of Fame class:
- Michelle Bartsch-Hackley, Volleyball (2008-11)
- Tal Brody, Men’s Basketball (1963-65)
- Vanessa DiBernardo, Women’s Soccer (2010-13)
- Moe Gardner, Football (1987-90)
- Kevin Hardy, Football (1992-95)
- Derek Harper, Men’s Basketball (1981-83)
- Leo Johnson, Track & Field Coach (1938-65)
- Gia Lewis-Smallwood, Women’s Track & Field (2000-02)
- Ray Nitschke, Football (1955-57)
- Bob Richards, Men’s Track & Field (1945-47)
- Art Schankin, Fencing (1956-58)
- Jenna Smith, Women’s Basketball (2007-10)
- Jake Stahl, Baseball/Football (1899-1903)
- Adam Tirapelle, Wrestling (1998-2001)
- Don Tonry, Men’s Gymnastics (1956-57. 59)
We are excited to announce the Illinois Athletics Hall of Fame Class of 2020! #Illini
— Illinois Athletics (@IlliniAthletics) April 7, 2020