Local Iowa sports reporter goes viral for zany overnight coverage of blizzard
Across the U.S., large portions of the country have been bracing for a blizzard and arctic blast conditions for the week heading up to Christmas. In the midwest, much of the region received large quantities of snow across Wednesday and into Thursday.
With most sports events in Iowa getting shut down for the time being, one local sports reporter was thrust into coverage of the winter storm. That would be Mark Woodley, sports reporter for KWWL-TV News in Waterloo, Iowa.
While Woodley did an admirable job covering the storm, he did not pull any punches when discussing the frigid conditions. He shared a clip of various portions of his coverage on social media with the clip going viral throughout Thursday.
Check it out:
This is what you get when you ask the sports guy to come in to cover a blizzard in the morning show. pic.twitter.com/h0RL9tVQqg
— Mark Woodley (@MarkWoodleyTV) December 22, 2022
Here are just a few samples from Woodley’s broadcast:
- “I normally do sports, everything is canceled here for the next few days, so what better time to ask the sports guy to come in about 5 hours earlier than he would normally wake up, go stand out in the wind and the cold and tell other people not to do the same?”
- “I didn’t even realize that there was a 3:30 also in the morning before today.”
- “This is a really long show, tune in over the next couple of hours to watch me progressively get crankier and crankier.”
- “How do I get that storm chaser 7 duty? I feel like Clint got the better end of that deal. That things heated.”
- “Can I go back to my regular job? I’m pretty sure, Ryan, that you guys added an extra hour to this show just because someone likes torturing me because compared to 2 and a half hours ago, it is just getting colder and colder.”
Well played, Mark Woodley.
In all seriousness, here’s hoping everyone stays safe — and as warm as possible — throughout this winter storm.