Report: Former Hawkeye star died of 'accidental mixed drug toxicity'
According to the State Medical Examiner’s Office, former Hawkeye Tyler Sash died because he mixed two powerful prescription pain relievers.
The Iowa defensive back was found dead in his home on Sept. 8. He did not appear to be the victim of any crime and investigators didn’t suspect any foul play. The evidence found by autopsy confirmed that.
The laboratory results revealed that he died of accidental mixed drug toxicity involving methadone and hydrocodone, both of which used to treat chronic pain he suffered throughout his football career.
According to the Cedar Rapids Gazette, the examiner’s office ordered for tests to see if Sash suffered from chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), which is a common post-football related brain disease as a result of concussions. He did suffer two concussions during his three-year career with the New York Giants.
The Iowa Department of Public Health said the CTE test will be completed within the year.
The Hawkeyes honored Sash by wearing his No. 9 on one side of their helmet in the Cy-Hawk game.