Maryland is getting ready to begin the Mike Locksley era, but ESPN’s Football Power Index is projecting some tough results in his first season at the helm.
The Terrapins are coming off of one of the most tumultuous seasons in program history. Matt Canada led the team to a 5-7 record as the interim coach while D.J. Durkin spent most of 2018 suspended. Once the dust settled, Durkin was gone and Locksley was hired as his replacement.
To his credit, Locksley has set about changing the culture and bringing in a number of solid players to build around. However, that does not always translate to immediate results.
ESPN’s FPI is only favoring the Terrapins in two games to start the season, and one of those is the season opener against Howard. Maryland’s odds to win multiple B1G games are not great as they are only favored against Rutgers within the conference.
Below is Maryland’s full schedule and projected win probability, per the FPI:
- August 31st: Howard: 98.7% win probability
- September 7: Syracuse: 42.7% win probability
- September 14: at Temple: 44.1% win probability
- September 27: Penn State: 14.8% win probability
- October 5: at Rutgers: 58.4% win probability
- October 12: at Purdue: 36.0% win probability
- October 19: Indiana: 41.1% win probability
- October 26: at Minnesota: 15.9% win probability
- November 2: Michigan: 8.4% win probability
- November 9: at Ohio State: 8.6% win probability
- November 23: Nebraska: 35.9% win probability
- November 30: at Michigan State: 9.7% win probability