ESPN FPI predicts every game on Michigan's schedule
Is this the year Michigan and Jim Harbaugh finally clear two of the biggest hurdles that have stood in the way of the program? Well, not according to ESPN’s Football Power Index (FPI).
Michigan has struggled to beat Ohio State and claim a B1G East Division title since Harbaugh’s arrival in 2015. And while ESPN’s FPI is predicting another big year for the Wolverines in 2020, it doesn’t expect this to be the year Michigan reaches the B1G Championship Game.
The Wolverines are favored in five of the eight regular season contests for the 2020 seasons. They’re the underdog in games against Wisconsin and Penn State — both teams that defeated Michigan during the 2019 campaign. Currently, the matchup with Ohio State does not have a chance of victory percentage.
Harbaugh and the Wolverines are replacing a lot of talent from the 2019 team, which finished 9-4. With limited practice this spring and a longer offseason than usual, Michigan missed critical opportunities to prepare for the upcoming season.
Here’s how ESPN’s FPI is predicting every game on Michigan’s 2020 schedule:
- Oct. 24: at Minnesota — 55.8% chance of victory
- Oct. 31: vs. Michigan State — 84.7% chance of victory
- Nov. 7: at Indiana — 50.2% chance of victory
- Nov. 14: vs. Wisconsin — 22.5% chance of victory
- Nov. 21: at Rutgers — 83.6% chance of victory
- Nov. 28: vs. Penn State — 28.6% chance of victory
- Dec. 5: vs. Maryland — 91.5% chance of victory
- Dec. 12: at Ohio State — N/A