No. 1 overall recruit Rashan Gary announces commitment to Michigan
For the first time ever, the consensus No. 1 recruit is coming to Michigan.
Rashan Gary’s highly anticipated announcement was highlighted by the news Wolverine fans had been hoping to hear for months.
Live on SportsCenter, Gary told the world that he’s heading to Ann Arbor.
— Tom VanHaaren (@TomVH) February 3, 2016
The Wolverines had to outlast the likes of Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Ole Miss and USC. Michigan had long been considered the favorite after Gary visited Ann Arbor four times in the last year, but Clemson got Gary’s last official visit which his mom said went “better than expected.”
In the end, Michigan still got the versatile 6-4, 290-pound Under Armour All-American. But it apparently did indeed come down to the wire.
Rashan Gary said on ESPN he didn't decide between Michigan & Clemson until he walked on to the stage in Bristol.
— Stewart Mandel (@slmandel) February 3, 2016
Gary’s commitment continued Jim Harbaugh’s domination of New Jersey. He joined best friend and fellow Michigan recruit Kareem Walker as the sixth recruit from the state. Gary will follow in the footsteps of Michigan’s last top-three recruit Jabrill Peppers, who also went to Paramus Catholic.
The five-star defensive lineman is the highest-rated recruit in the B1G since 247sports began its rankings in 1999. Gary’s commitment marked the first time since 2009 that the nation’s top recruit didn’t sign with an SEC school.
It had already been a banner day for the Wolverines. They got a commitment from a pair of former Penn State commits in four-star cornerback Lavert Hill and No. 1 kicker Quinn Nordin. Three-star receiver Nate Johnson also announced that he’s sticking with Michigan.
The day might not be over for the Wolverines yet. They’re awaiting announcements from four-star prospects Devin Asiasi and Boss Tagaloa.
Regardless of how the rest of the day shakes out, Harbaugh got the playmaking defensive lineman he’d targeted for so long.