News of Grant Perry’s return to the Michigan football team earlier in the month surprised some.
Jim Harbaugh announced the wide receiver was allowed to rejoin the team despite the fact that he faced two misdemeanor counts of fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct, one felony count of resisting a police officer and one misdemeanor count of a minor in possession of alcohol for an Oct. 15 incident in East Lansing.
But Perry isn’t back on the team as a full participant.
Harbaugh said on Saturday that Perry won’t participate in games until his court case concludes.
“He won’t represent the team on the field in games until the case is finalized, until there’s closure,” Harbaugh said Saturday via MLive.com. “He’s always had the opportunity to get treatment, to get academic support, to be in the university as a functioning member of the university.
“The latest step was to allow him to train and workout with the team. To have an opportunity, if it comes this season, seems fair. So that was the decision that was made.”
Perry was accused of grabbing a 21-year-old woman by the groin and buttocks while at an East Lansing bar. According to the police report, Perry fled when officers arrived at the scene. He had to be chased and tackled before he was detained.
The incident occurred during Michigan’s bye week.
After he served a two-game suspension, Perry was allowed to return for the rest of the regular season. But he was arraigned in East Lansing District Court a week before the Orange Bowl, which led to his suspension from all team activities. It wasn’t until two weeks ago that his suspension was lifted.
Perry is Michigan’s leading returning receiver after hauling in 13 catches for 183 yards during his sophomore season. He’s the only returning Wolverine wideout who caught at least 10 passes or had 100 receiving yards in 2016.