ESPN's FPI predicts every game on Michigan State's schedule
Michigan State rolls into 2019 on the heels of a disappointing finish in 2018.
The Spartans finished 7-6 last year after losing three of their final four games. That stretch included a Red Box Bowl loss to Oregon by a score of 7-6.
A lackluster offense turned out to be the theme in 2018 as the Spartans failed to score more than 20 points seven different times. The team went 1-6 in those games. The results were even more frustrating due to a strong defense that limited opponents to 17.2 points per game.
The good news is ESPN’s Football Power Index is predicting better results for Michigan State in 2019. Part of that is likely expecting the Spartans to maintain their excellent defensive numbers under head coach Mark Dantonio. Another reason is the number of injuries that plagued the offense in 2018.
According to the FPI, the two games the Spartans are predicted to lose this season are at Ohio State and at Michigan. They are given a solid chance to win every other game on the schedule.
Here’s how ESPN’s FPI is projecting every game on Michigan State’s schedule this fall:
- August 30: Tulsa: 95.5% win probability
- September 7: Western Michigan: 87.9% win probability
- September 14: Arizona State: 78.4% win probability
- September 21: at Northwestern: 73.2% win probability
- September 28: Indiana: 81.4% win probability
- October 5: at Ohio State: 41.8% win probability
- October 12: at Wisconsin: 63.7% win probability
- October 26: Penn State: 57.4% win probability
- November 9: Illinois: 93.5% win probability
- November 16: at Michigan: 20.9% win probability
- November 23: at Rutgers: 89.5% win probability
- November 30: Maryland: 90.3% win probability