Two more Michigan State players opt out of 2020 football season
Two more members of the Michigan State football team have decided to opt out of the 2020 football season.
Linebacker Marcel Lewis and offensive lineman Justin Stevens both announced on Saturday that they have decided to opt out of playing during the 2020 college football season, due to concerns with the COVID-19 virus. Both released statements on Twitter on Saturday.
Lewis says that he has lost a family member to the virus, and another was seriously ill because of it. He says he plans to return to the team for the 2021 football season.
Stevens says he has an underlying respiratory issue which could make him more susceptible to the virus. He does not want to use any eligibility during the 2020 season. Both statements can be seen below:
— .13 (@marcel1lewis) August 8, 2020
— Justin Stevens (@JustinStevens87) August 8, 2020
Michigan State was one of six B1G programs that have paused operations at some time this season. Recently, the entire Spartans football team was subjected to a 14-day quarantine due to a spike of positive cases throughout the program.
The Spartans began fall camp late in the week after the quarantine period was over.
Previously, Michigan State saw defensive lineman Jacub Panasiuk and offensive lineman Jordan Reid opt out of the 2020 season.