Minnesota drops top recruit of 2019 class after reported arrest
Minnesota’s top 2019 recruit is no longer a member of the class after being arrested and charged with domestic battery, according to a report.
Andy Greder of the Pioneer Press reported that Jason Bargy, the highest-rated recruit in the Gophers’ 2019 class, will make a plea in court on Dec. 5. He is not to be in contact with the victim.
The Gophers had been planning to cut ties with Bargy following off-field issues at home and in school. He quit his high school football team prior to the end of the season.
Fleck was not permitted to speak on individual recruits, but said that there are standards that must be met.
“You’ve got to continue to make your life better,” Fleck said Tuesday. “Just because you’re committed and you have your scholarship doesn’t mean all of a sudden now you’re on easy street and coasting. That’s not what it’s about.”
Bargy was a 4-star recruit out of Momence, Illinois. The 6-foot-4, 255-pound defensive end was ranked has a top three player out of his home state and was a top 300 player overall, according to 247Sports.
Minnesota’s 2019 recruiting class ranks 38th nationally and ninth in the B1G.