Maliek Collins makes announcement about 2016 decision
Nebraska will have a new man in the middle in 2016.
Following the team’s 37-29 Foster Farms Bowl victory, Husker defensive tackle Maliek Collins told reporters that he would be forgoing his senior season in Lincoln and declaring for the NFL draft.
Maliek Collins has declared for the NFL Draft. Said he got a good grade back. Talked to his teammates. Riley in support. #huskers
— Samuel McKewon (@swmckewonOWH) December 27, 2015
It’s not much of a surprise from the 6-2, 300-pound lineman. He could easily wind up as a first-round selection with above-average combine marks.
In his first mock draft of the season last week, ESPN NFL draft analyst Todd McShay slotted Collins going No. 26 overall to the Seattle Seahawks.
Collins finished his Nebraska career with All-B1G honors after recording seven tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks as a junior. The captain finished second on the team with six quarterback hurries and was one of the Huskers key run-stoppers.
Collins thanked Nebraska fans for the support after making his decision public:
— Nebraska Huskers (@Huskers) December 27, 2015
Fellow lineman Vincent Valentine is expected to have an announcement regarding his NFL plans in the near future, as well.
The deadline for underclassmen to declare for the NFL draft is Jan. 18.