The Nebraska spring football game has been postponed from its original date and is likely to be canceled, school athletic director Bill Moos said on Monday.
“The spring game is not going to be on the 18th of April and most probably will not occur at all,” Moos said on Husker Sports Nightly this week. “I hate to say that. We’ve got so many fans that that’s their only opportunity to see the huskers. But we’ve also been drawing close to 90,000 fans for a spring game, and that’s far more than is being allowed or recommended by a variety of sources.”
Nebraska’s spring game has drawn plenty of spectators and fans over the last two seasons. In 2018 and 2019, the Huskers had sellout crowds on hand for the annual spring game. According to the Lincoln Journal Star, more than 62,000 tickets had already been sold for this year’s event.
Moos also was unsure when players would be able to return to the field — if at all during the spring. Nebraska had completed just two practices before the halt of team activities was implemented by the NCAA and B1G.
Nebraska is coming off a 5-7 season in 2019 and is looking to get to bowl eligibility in 2020, which would be the first time under head coach Scott Frost.