Nebraska game-by-game predictions: ESPN's FPI projects Cornhuskers' 2022 season
Nebraska went an abysmal 3-9 in 2021, losing the final 6 games of the regular season.
But, as coach Scott Frost and the Cornhuskers prepare for the 2022 campaign, there is some optimism in Lincoln. After all, 8 of the Cornhuskers’ losses last year came by 1 possession or less.
So, what does ESPN’s Football Power Index (FPI) think of Nebraska’s chances in 2022? Well, let’s just say it could be a much more pleasing year in Cornhusker land.
As you can see below, the FPI projections have Nebraska favored in 8 of its 12 regular-season games. The Huskers’ lowest chance of winning comes in Week 11 at Michigan:
- Aug. 27 vs. Northwestern (in Dublin) — 78.7% chance of winning
- Sept. 3 vs. North Dakota — 98.4% chance of winning
- Sept. 10 vs. Georgia Southern — 92.0% chance of winning
- Sept. 17 vs. Oklahoma — 39.5% chance of winning
- Oct. 1 vs. Indiana — 84.0% chance of winning
- Oct. 7 at Rutgers — 72.4% chance of winning
- Oct. 15 at Purdue — 48.7% chance of winning
- Oct. 29 vs. Illinois — 83.5% chance of winning
- Nov. 5 vs. Minnesota — 63.9% chance of winning
- Nov. 12 at Michigan — 20.0% chance of winning
- Nov. 19 vs. Wisconsin — 51.2% chance of winning
- Nov. 25 at Iowa — 46.5% chance of winning
An 8-4 record would be a big boost for Frost as he fights to keep his job. Can the Huskers avoid some of the narrow losses they suffered in 2021 and make a run at a bowl game this fall?