The attorney for the University of Nebraska Athletic Department was aware of the nature of the accusations against running back Maurice Washington in mid-September of 2018, according to a report for 1011 Now.

Earlier this week, Washington was charged with a misdemeanor under California’s “revenge porn” law for sending the video of an alleged sexual assault to the victim along with an inappropriate message. He’s also facing charges for possession of child pornography, a felony.

According to the report, law enforcement attempted to interview Washington by sending requests to the running back himself, as well as attorney Jon Bruning. Washington did not respond to those messages.

Washington was not involved with assault and did not record the video.

From the report:

The investigator reached out to Washington “several times” to call Washington without success, as well as sent multiple text messages, according to the court records.

The investigator also reached out to the University of Nebraska Lincoln Police Department to try to contact Washington. The investigator was eventually contacted by Jamie Vaughn, Senior Associate Athletic Director for Compliance for the UNL Athletic Department, on September 13th. Vaughn said he had spoken to the UNL football staff, and “they were concerned about him needing a lawyer”. Vaughn indicated to the Attorney General investigator he would attempt to schedule an interview date for the investigator to speak with Washington.

On Sept. 14, the investigator was contacted by attorney Jon Bruning, who indicated he had been contacted by the UNL Athletic Department about Washington. The investigator “informed Mr. Bruning about the nature of the case”, and Bruning “indicated he would speak with Maurice and Maurice’s coaches and then let Investigator Sexton know if Investigator Sexton would be able to interview Maurice.”

The alleged incident took place in 2016, when the victim was 15 years old. According to reports, the victim was the former girlfriend of Washington and the two dated in high school.

An arrest warrant was filed for Washington, but the Santa Clara district attorney said it could take one to three months for a judge to sign the warrant. He will have the option to self-surrender.