Somewhat shocking news hit the B1G earlier this week when Nebraska wide receiver JD Spielman decided to enter the transfer portal after taking a leave of absence from the program. But head coach Scott Frost believes that “mutual separation” was the best move for both parties.
On Wednesday night, Frost joined Sports Nightly and was asked about the receiver’s decision to transfer. While not many specifics were provided on the situation, the head coach said that going separate ways was best.
“Both parties were pretty sure a fresh start moving on was probably the right decision at this point,” Frost said, according to Christopher Heady of the Omaha World-Herald.
Spielman took a leave of absence from the team earlier this year. He never ruled out a return to the program but now the receiver will have to find a new place to finish his career.
Last season, Spielman led the Huskers in receiving with 49 catches for 898 yards and five touchdowns. In three seasons in Lincoln, Spielman totaled 2,546 receiving yards and 15 touchdown catches on 170 receptions.
Spielman totaled over 800 receiving yards every season.
The departure is a big blow for the Huskers. Nebraska was hoping to use its talent and experience on the offensive side of the football to get back to bowl eligibility this season after a three-year drought. While there’s still plenty of playmakers taking the field this fall, Spielman was one of the leaders.
Spielman did not graduate from Nebraska, meaning he’ll need a waiver to participate at the FBS level immediately. He has one season of eligibility left.
Nebraska is coming off a 5-7 season in 2019. The Huskers are scheduled to host Purdue on Sept. 5 in the season opener.