Northwestern game-by-game predictions: ESPN’s FPI projects Wildcats' 2022 season
ESPN’s FPI is predicting every game of the college football season. In the B1G West, that includes Northwestern who is looking to rebound from a 3-9 record last season.
As disappointing as that season was, it continued a wild trend for Northwestern. In the past 4 seasons, the Wildcats have alternated B1G West championships and losing seasons under Pat Fitzgerald.
If Northwestern is going to get back to Indianapolis this season, the Wildcats will need an improved offense with improved QB play. The Wildcats are also looking to replace some key defensive production, including star safety Brandon Joseph.
Unfortunately for Fitzgerald’s squad, the Football Power Index is not favorable for the Wildcats this season. The system is predicting the Wildcats to win just 4 games in 2022, including a projection for a season-opening loss in Dublin.
Here are the game-by-game projections from the FPI:
- Aug. 27 vs. Nebraska — 21.3% chance of winning
- Sept. 10 vs. Duke — 75.4% chance of winning
- Sept. 17 vs. Southern Illinois — 91.4% chance of winning
- Sept. 24 vs. Miami (OH) — 70.5% chance of winning
- Oct. 1 at Penn State — 9.9% chance of winning
- Oct. 8 vs. Wisconsin — 20.7% chance of winning
- Oct. 22 at Maryland — 20.1% chance of winning
- Oct. 29 at Iowa — 18.4% chance of winning
- Nov. 5 vs. Ohio State — 3.2% chance of winning
- Nov. 12 at Minnesota — 18.7% chance of winning
- Nov. 19 at Purdue — 20% chance of winning
- Nov. 26 vs. Illinois — 55.6% chance of winning