Chargers finally sign Joey Bosa to four-year contract
Joey Bosa won’t sit out 2016 after all.
Finally, after a heavily publicized contract dispute, Bosa is officially an NFL player.
The San Diego Chargers announced on Monday that they signed the former Buckeye to a four-year deal.
“We look forward to having Joey join us and getting him prepared as quickly as possible for the 2016 season,” Chargers general manager Tom Telesco said in a statement.
Fittingly, the Chargers didn’t detail the terms of the contract in their team release. The Chargers and Bosa were at a stalemate because of the offset language and the timing of the guaranteed money in his contract.
According to NFL.com reporter Ian Rapoport, Bosa got his guaranteed money:
The #Chargers and Joey Bosa reached a 4-year, $25.8M contract, source said. He gets a $17M signing bonus. It's all fully guaranteed.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) August 29, 2016
In the end, Chargers got some of what they wanted from Joey Bosa and he got some of what he wanted from them. A compromise. As it should be.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) August 29, 2016
The former All-American can now focus on football matters.
Bosa missed all of training camp so far and he hasn’t played in any preseason games. Whether or not he’ll be in shape to go for the start of the 2016 season is another story.
He’s currently listed as the fourth defensive end on the Chargers’ depth chart. We’ll see if that changes.