Ohio State’s quarterback situation is in much better shape after Friday night.

The NCAA has granted Justin Fields immediate eligibility and the former five-star quarterback will be able to play in the 2019 season. That’s huge news for the Buckeyes, who lack some depth at the position following Tate Martell’s transfer to Miami.

Many expected Fields would be granted a waiver and would be eligible for the upcoming season, but as attorney Tom Mars said a few days ago “there are no slam dunks with the NCAA.” Fields decided to leave Georgia following the 2018 and is the highest-rated player ever to land in Columbus.

After the NCAA’s ruling, Fields made a statement on the situation. Since a decision was still looming, the quarterback had decided to stay quiet on the matter.

“Now that this matter is concluded, I would like to clarify some facts,” Fields said in a statement. “I have no regrets about my time at UGA and have no hard feelings for the school or football program. My overall experience at UGA was fully consistent with UGA’s commitment to diversity and inclusion. My sister is a softball player at UGA. I am still close friends with many of my UGA teammates. A part of me will always be a Georgia Bulldogs fan.

“To Buckeye Nation: thank you for your warm welcome. I will work hard to represent you and The Ohio State University in a professional and respectful manner. My dad always tells me that ‘you can’t get where you are going by looking in the rear view mirror.’ I’m ready to move forward and embrace the next season of my life.”

In his statement, Fields also said this will be the last time he talks about his decision to transfer.

Fields will be the favorite to win the starting job next fall, but will battle Matthew Baldwin for the No. 1 spot. It will be surprising if the former Bulldog doesn’t wind up under center for the Buckeyes.

Last year at Georgia, Fields appeared in 12 games and threw for 328 yards and four touchdowns. He added 266 yards and four scores on the ground.