An Ohio State cardiologist and co-author of a study on myocarditis does not believe that issue is reason enough to cancel the B1G football season, instead suggesting that it demonstrates that the sport can be played safely.

Dr. Curt Daniels told The Columbus Dispatch’s Bill Rabinowitz that information and interpretations regarding myocarditis have been “misconstrued.” He says it’s not a reason to cancel football or any other fall sports.

“I think we have a safe way to return to play,” Daniels said. “I hope that we will find a way to do so.”

Sports Betting in Big Ten Country

With the launch coming on January 1, 2023, Ohio sports betting apps are almost here.

FanDuel is now giving users a $100 bonus for Ohio pre-registration. Go pre-register now.

21+ and present in OH. Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER.

Daniels co-authored the study, along with Ohio State athletic department head physician Dr. James Borchers, who was part of the B1G medical subcommittee that met with presidents and chancellors over the weekend.

On Aug. 11, the B1G postponed fall sports due to the uncertainties of the COVID-19 pandemic. Myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart that could be fatal if not diagnosed, was one of the major concerns for B1G presidents and chancellors making the decision.

From The Columbus Dispatch:

″‘My gosh, they found myocarditis, there’s no way we can play,’ ” Daniels said of the general reaction. “They’re putting it out there saying it’s not safe to play. They’re not reading the article. Or if they’re reading it, they’re just putting their own spin on it, like, ‘It’s not safe.’

“It’s actually the opposite. We’re saying we actually found this, but we know a path now to say it’s safe to go back as opposed to having this uncomfortable feeling of not knowing anything” about the actual risk.

The B1G is currently discussing potential return-to-competition plans after meetings “went well” over the weekend. The league is reportedly targeting an Oct. 17 restart date, according to Jeff Potrykus of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

Other dates have been discussed as well, including Thanksgiving and a few weekends in January. As of Monday night, no decision was made.