Ohio State game-by-game predictions: ESPN's FPI projects Buckeyes' 2022 season
Ohio State will enter the 2022 season as the team most analysts and fans think has the best chance of snagging a title away from the Alabama Crimson Tide.
Yes, the Tide have Heisman-winning QB Bryce Young and edge rusher Will Anderson Jr. returning. But, let’s not forget that the Buckeyes have Heisman finalist QB CJ Stroud and star WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba coming back to Columbus for one last ride, too.
So, what should we expect from the Buckeyes this fall? ESPN’s Football Power Index (FPI) thinks it’s going to be a dominant regular season in Columbus.
As you can see below, the Buckeyes are projected to be heavy favorites in every game. In fact, the game the FPI rankings have the Buckeyes with the lowest chance of winning is at Penn State on Oct. 29. In that matchup, the Buckeyes are still given a whopping 82.9% chance to win:
- Sept. 3 vs. Notre Dame — 83.5% chance of winning
- Sept. 10 vs. Arkansas State — 99.3% chance of winning
- Sept. 17 vs. Toledo — 98.0% chance of winning
- Sept. 24 vs. Wisconsin — 92.0% chance of winning
- Oct. 1 vs. Rutgers — 98.5% chance of winning
- Oct. 8 at Michigan State — 83.1% chance of winning
- Oct. 22 vs. Iowa — 95.0% chance of winning
- Oct. 29 at Penn State — 82.9% chance of winning
- Nov. 5 at Northwestern — 96.8% chance of winning
- Nov. 12 vs. Indiana — 98.0% chance of winning
- Nov. 19 at Maryland — 90.6% chance of winning
- Nov. 26 vs. Michigan — 84.8% chance of winning
So, can the Buckeyes win out? ESPN’s FPI rankings give them a 32.1% chance to go undefeated this regular season, which is the best chance of any team in the nation.
It could be a special year for Ryan Day and the Buckeyes.