Ohio State defensive lineman Haskell Garrett has issued a statement following a shooting injury over the weekend that resulted in a short hospital stay. He has since been released from the medical center.

“I would first like to thank God for keeping his hedge of protection during this time,” Garrett wrote. “I want to thank the first responders from the Columbus PD, the EMTs, and the doctors and nurses who took care of me at the Wexner Medical Center. I also want to thank all of my family and friends for their thoughts and prayers during this awful circumstance. I want to inform everyone that I am okay and my recovery is going well.”

Sports Betting in Big Ten Country

With the launch coming on January 1, 2023, Ohio sports betting apps are almost here.

FanDuel is now giving users a $100 bonus for Ohio pre-registration. Go pre-register now.

21+ and present in OH. Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER.

Garrett was reportedly injured after attempting to break up an argument.

Sunday, it was reported that Garrett had been injured after being shot in the cheeks of his face. Police responded to the report of gunshots around 12:30 a.m. Sunday and followed a trail of blood to an apartment where Garrett was found. He was then transported to the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.

Per a report from Bill Landis of The Athletic, Garrett urged a man to stop the “aggressive” argument before the suspect pulled out a gun and fired it, which resulted in Garrett’s injury.

“Haskell Garrett has been receiving excellent care at the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center for the injuries he received on Sunday,” head coach Ryan Day said in a statement on Monday. “We anticipate he will be released from the Medical Center this morning. On behalf of his family and this football program, we would like to thank all those who have been a part of Haskell’s treatment and we are grateful that he will be heading home today. We will continue to help him and his family any way we can to expedite his recovery.”

On Sunday, Garrett was reportedly in stable condition. Monday, Bill Rabinowitz of the Columbus Dispatch reported that Garrett has been released from the hospital.