Two of the nation's Top 3 recruiters are on Ohio State's staff, according to 247Sports
It’s not an accident that Ohio State continually rakes in one of the nation’s best recruiting classes. Under Urban Meyer, and now under Ryan Day, the Buckeyes have some of the best recruiters in the nation on staff.
If you ask 247Sports, Ohio State actually has two of the top three recruiters in the nation.
Recently, 247Sports updated its recruiter rankings for the 2020 cycle, and two Buckeye assistants found their names at the top. Wide receivers coach Brian Hartline ranks as the No. 1 recruiter in the nation and co-defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley comes in at No. 3. Both are in their first permanent role with the program.
Hartline is making a huge impact in his first season as the wide receivers coach, and has been responsible for five commitments in Ohio State’s 2020 class. Four of those players rank in the top 75 nationally, per 247Sports Composite rankings. Here’s the list of players Hartline has landed verbal pledges from so far:
- WR: Julian Fleming — 5-star, No. 5 overall
- WR: Jaxon Smith-Njigba — 4-star, No. 59 overall
- WR: Gee Scott Jr — 4-star, No. 63 overall
- WR: Mookie Cooper — 4-star, No. 74 overall
- ATH: Cameron Martinez — 3-star, No. 368 overall
Hafley has been responsible for six commitments in Ohio State’s 2020 class, five of which have a four-star ranking. Here are the verbal pledges Hafley has received:
- CB: Clark Phillips III — 4-star, No. 44 overall
- S: Lathan Ransom — 4-star, No. 67 overall
- OC: Luke Wypler — 4-star, No. 69 overall
- LB: Cody Simon — 4-star, No. 127 overall
- Lejond Cavazos — 4-star, No. 248 overall
- Cameron Martinez — 3-star, No. 368 overall.
Cameron Martinez is credited to both assistants.
One of the big questions regarding Day and his staff was whether or not the program would be able to recruit at the same level as Meyer. Clearly, that’s not a problem. Ohio State owns the No. 1 class in the B1G and sits No. 3 nationally.
It helps to have such outstanding recruiters on staff.