Purdue quarterback Elijah Sindelar doesn’t necessarily want to stick around West Lafayette for an additional season, but he will have that option after a ruling on his eligibility returned from the NCAA on Thursday.
Mike Carmin of the Journal & Courier reported on Thursday afternoon that Sindelar’s request for an additional year of eligibility has been granted. Sindelar had already used his redshirt season but suffered from an injury last fall and was only able to participate in two games for the Boilermakers.
Sindelar will now have two years of eligibility remaining following the NCAA’s ruling.
In an interview with the Journal & Courier, Sindelar said the approval from the NCAA is “huge,” but hopes his 2019 campaign is strong enough to pursue a career in the NFL.
“My goal is not to use it if I don’t have to,” Sindelar said. “Hopefully, I can perform well enough this season to be able to get drafted. That would be ideal. For some reason, if that does not happen and I’m able to take that sixth year to increase that opportunity then that’s what is going to happen.”
Sindelar started in the first two games for Purdue in 2018 but did not play after that. He completed 26-of-44 attempts for 283 yards and two touchdowns. David Blough took over after the second game, starting in the Boilers’ final 11 games, including the Music City Bowl.
In 2017, Sindelar split time with Blough, helping lead Purdue to its first bowl appearance since 2012. He threw for 2,099 yards and 18 touchdowns while completing passes at a near 57 percent clip. Sindelar played in the final four games while Blough suffered an ankle injury, despite being injured himself. He played the final three games of the season on a torn ACL, but led the Boilermakers to wins in all three games, including the Foster Farms Bowl.
Purdue’s 2019 season begins on Aug. 30 on the road against Nevada. Sindelar is expected to be the starter.