Purdue game-by-game predictions: ESPN’s FPI projects Boilermakers' 2022 season
ESPN is using its Football Power Index, a simulation-based measure of team strength, to project how the 2022 college football season will play out. For Purdue, the FPI sees an up-and-down start for Jeff Brohm’s squad, with the Boilermakers likely closing strong.
The Boilermakers have big goals for 2022, Year 6 under Brohm. At B1G Media Days, Purdue QB Aidan O’Connell said the goal is for the Boilermakers to be back at Lucas Oil Stadium in December playing in the Big Ten Championship Game.
O’Connell might be able to lead Purdue to a division title in the wide-open B1G West. Last season, O’Connell averaged over 355 yards per game in his 12 appearances. He also threw for 2 touchdowns 8 times, including each of the Boilermakers’ final 6 games.
The FPI projects Purdue to be at .500 after the first 2 months of the season. The Boilermakers, however, could finish strong in November.
Here is Purdue’s full schedule predicted by the FPI:
- Sept. 1 vs. Penn State – 39.8% chance of winning
- Sept. 10 vs. Indiana State – 98.6% chance of winning
- Sept. 17 at Syracuse – 55.3% chance of winning
- Sept. 24 vs. Florida Atlantic – 84.7% chance of winning
- Oct. 1 at Minnesota – 39.7% chance of winning
- Oct. 8 at Maryland – 38.9% chance of winning
- Oct. 15 vs. Nebraska – 51.3% chance of winning
- Oct. 22 at Wisconsin – 28.5% chance of winning
- Nov. 5 vs. Iowa –59.6% chance of winning
- Nov. 12 vs. Illinois – 66.1% chance of winning
- Nov. 19 vs. Northwestern – 80% chance of winning
- Nov. 26 at Indiana – 63.2% chance of winning