Maryland takes steps to license three casinos for potential late fall sports betting launch
The Maryland Lottery and Gaming Control Commission took action today to begin licensing three casinos for sports betting, a major step forward for Maryland’s long-awaited sports betting launch.
The Horseshoe Casino in Baltimore, Live! Casino and Hotel in Hanover and MGM National Harbor in Oxon Hill all met the qualification requirements for sports wagering license. The applications for the three casinos will be forwarded to the Sports Wagering Application Review Commission (SWARC), which is responsible for awarding the licenses.
Late fall in-person sports betting?
The three casinos were among 17 entities designed in the sports wagering bill to conduct sports wagering operations. In August, SWARC voted unanimously that the MLGCC’s qualification standards would be sufficient to award sports betting licenses to the 17 designated entities.
“We’re pleased to have these three applicants approved and move them along to the SWARC,” said Maryland Lottery and Gaming Director John Martin in a release. “Our team is diligently implementing the sports wagering law, and we’re one step closer to the first in-person wagers, which we hope will take place by late fall.”
SWARC next meets on Thursday, Oct. 14, where the licenses may potentially be awarded. The Maryland Lottery Gaming Control Agency (MLGCA) will ensure the three entities have finalized their internal controls and other operational requirements before receiving the licenses.
All three casinos have agreed to partnerships with qualified sportsbook operators to handle their in person and online sports betting programs. The partnerships are as follows:
- Horseshoe Casino in Baltimore partnered with Caesars.
- Live! Casino and Hotel in Hanover partnered with FanDuel.
- MGM National Harbor in Oxon Hill partnered with BetMGM.
No timeline for online sports betting has yet to be laid out by Maryland representatives.
Eligible Maryland entities listed in bill
Here are the 17 entities listed in the Maryland sports betting bill:
- Horseshoe Casino (A-1 License)
- Live! Casino (A-1 License)
- MGM (A-1 License)
- Hollywood Casino (A-2 License)
- Ocean Downs Casino (A-2 License)
- Rocky Gap Casino Resort (A-2 License)
Professional Sports Stadium Licenses
- Oriole Park (A-1 License)
- M&T Bank Field (A-1 License)
- FedEx Field (A-1 License)
- Laurel Park and Pimlico Park (One A-2 License between them)
- Greenmount Station (B License)
- The Jockey Bar and Grille (B License)
- Long Shot’s (B License)
- Riverboat on the Potomac (B License)
- Maryland State Fairgrounds (B License)
Commercial Bingo Halls (with at least 200 machines)
- Bingo World
- Rod ‘N’ Reel