CBS Sports expert releases early list of candidates for Wisconsin head coaching vacancy
Wisconsin football is officially without a head coach after Paul Chryst was let go. Tom Fornelli of CBS Sports gave out his list of some candidates who should be considered for the job.
Kansas HC Lance Leipold seems to be one of the favorites among fans and certain media members. Leipold also ended up on Fornelli’s list.
Wisconsin Interim HC Jim Leonhard was another candidate that was suggested by Fornelli. Leonhard has been with the team since 2016, and would be an easy inside hire for the program.
Wisconsin let go of Chryst after his 2-3 start to the season. Chryst’s most recent loss was to Illinois in his team’s B1G home opener. Wisconsin also had losses to Washington State and Ohio State this season.
Chryst went 67-26 as Wisconsin’s HC. In that time, he won the B1G West division three times (2016, 2017, 2019). Chryst lost to Ohio State twice in the B1G Championship in 2017 and 2019. Penn State beat the Badgers in the B1G title game in 2016.
Here’s Fornelli’s full list of candidates:
- Jim Leonhard, Wisconsin interim HC/DC
- Lance Leipold, Kansas HC
- Matt Campbell, Iowa State HC
- Dave Aranda, Baylor HC
- Sean Lewis, Kent State HC
- Dave Doeren, N.C. State HC
- Matt Rhule, Carolina Panthers HC
- Chris Petersen, FOX Analyst/ former Washington and Boise State HC
- Dan Mullen, ESPN Analyst/ former Mississippi State and Florida HC