ESPN's FPI predicts the remainder of Wisconsin's schedule
Wisconsin’s season-opening win over Illinois has earned them quite a bit of goodwill, even with projection models like ESPN’s FPI.
Per FPI, Wisconsin is expected to win all seven of its remaining regular season games.
Here’s a breakdown:
- Oct. 31 @ Nebraska: 91.5 percent chance to win
- Nov. 7 vs Purdue: 93.1 percent chance to win
- Nov. 14 @ Michigan: 72.7 percent chance to win
- Nov. 21 @ Northwestern: 83.8 percent chance to win
- Nov. 28 vs Minnesota: 94.1 percent chance to win
- Dec. 5 vs Indiana: 86.2 percent chance to win
- Dec. 12 @ Iowa: 87.2 percent chance to win
Overall, ESPN gives Wisconsin a 14.2 percent chance of finishing the regular season undefeated. FPI ranks the Badgers as the No. 14 offense, No. 1 defense and No. 4 overall team.
A lot of this, of course, is hinging on the status of new starting quarterback Graham Mertz. Earlier on Sunday, Mertz reportedly tested positive for COVID-19 and is awaiting the results of a confirmation test.
If Mertz does in fact have coronavirus, he’d be out for at least 21 days per Big Ten policy. That would disqualify him from playing vs. Nebraska, Purdue and Michigan.
Barring further positive tests for the Badgers, they’ll kick off against Nebraska on Saturday for Week 2 action at 3:30 p.m. ET.