Michigan State is trending up after finding its groove in Week 2, but there’s an undeniably tough stretch of games coming up for the Spartans.
Mark Dantonio’s squad finally put a sluggish offensive start behind them by breaking out in big fashion against Western Michigan. Michigan State exploded with 51 points in a lopsided win to carry momentum into a non-conference showdown with Arizona State.
The Spartans will be favored heavily in that matchup before beginning B1G play soon after. However, the crucial stretch for Michigan State comes in October. A brutal October schedule sees the Spartans play three games against ranked opponents, including two on the road.
ESPN’s FPI currently has Michigan State as underdogs in all three of those games. But if the Spartans can find a way to survive that brutal stretch, they are favored in every other game on the schedule except for one.
Here’s the win probability for Michigan State’s remaining games after Week 2, according to the FPI:
- Sept. 14 vs Arizona State – 88.8%
- Sept. 21 @ Northwestern – 79.4%
- Sept. 28 vs Indiana – 80.8%
- Oct. 5 @ Ohio State – 30.8%
- Oct. 12 @ Wisconsin – 34.0%
- Oct. 26 vs Penn State – 48.3%
- Nov. 9 vs Illinois – 93.2%
- Nov. 16 @ Michigan – 39.1%
- Nov. 23 @ Rutgers – 91.6%
- Nov. 30 vs Maryland – 68.4%