Wisconsin suspends Quintez Cephus after disturbing charges are filed
Charges of second degree sexual assault of an intoxicated victim and third degree sexual assault have been filed against Wisconsin receiver Quintez Cephus, according to reports.
Sports anchor Julia Cox of NBC 15 in Madison reported that charges were filed against Cephus on Monday. Earlier in the day, Jeff Potrykus of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported that Cephus will have his initial court hearing on Thursday.
— Julia Cox (@_CoxJulia) August 20, 2018
After the charges were filed, Wisconsin made the decision to suspend Cephus. The team released a statement late Monday afternoon.
Quintez Cephus, a junior with the Wisconsin football team, has been suspended from the team after violating the UW Department of Athletics’ Student-Athlete Discipline Policy, Director of Athletics Barry Alvarez announced Monday.
Cephus is suspended from competition and practice pending the availability of further information relating to his case.
Over the weekend, Cephus announced that he’d be taking a leave of absence from the program amidst the pending charges. In a message he posted on Twitter, Cephus said he was leaving the team “in order to focus all of his attention on clearing” his name.
Cephus also said he will “not be defined by these allegations or this episode” in his Twitter post.
When Cephus originally made the announcement to step away from the team, the charges were unspecified but it stemmed from an incident that occurred in April.