Minnesota may be the hardest team to gauge headed into the 2019 season. Some view the Golden Gophers as one of the bottom teams in the B1G West. Others think they can challenge for a division title.
If you believe ESPN’s FPI, P.J. Fleck’s crew will be right in the hunt to win the West.
Despite being young, Minnesota does return plenty of talent at the running back and receiver position. Mohamed Ibrahim rushed for over 1,000 yards as a true freshman and Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks both return. Tyler Johnson was the B1G’s second-leading receiver a year ago and could have another big season.
The offensive line has a little more experience and the defense got better as last year’s season ended. Whether or not you believe the Gophers have a realistic shot this year, the program is certainly headed in a positive direction.
Here’s how ESPN’s FPI is predicting the season will go in Minneapolis:
- August 29: vs. South Dakota State — 86.8% win probability
- September 7: at Fresno State — 71.3% win probability
- September 14: vs. Georgia Southern — 86.9% win probability
- September 28: at Purdue — 66.4% win probability
- October 5: vs. Illinois — 85.3% win probability
- October 12: vs. Nebraska — 60.5% win probability
- October 19: at Rutgers — 81.2% win probability
- October 26: vs. Maryland — 84.1% win probability
- November 9: vs. Penn State — 39.8% win probability
- November 16: at Iowa — 37.2% win probability
- November 23: at Northwestern — 58.9% win probability
- November 30: vs. Wisconsin — 64.6% win probability